Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Zero Waste Meal



It all started with a call from my girlfriend asking if I had any sundried tomato pesto. No I said but we could make some, I have tonnes of basil.
After a quick search online we found this recipe and she was soon on my doorstop to harvest some basil. Well that got me thinking about dinner and the idea of potato gnocchi and sundried tomato pesto. Having never made gnocchi before and an extremely hectic day (that's Tuesday)I embarked upon the challenge.
When my girlfriends son arrived after school with a half jar of the homemade pesto I was already roasting the potatos for the gnocchi.
While I was peeling the roasted potatoes a thought occurred to me. Why not make some wedges type things out of the peels(they still had a small amount of potato sticking to them). So I sprinkled them with olive oil and seasoning and put them back into the oven to crisp up.
I pureed the last of the summer's cherry tomatoes and heated it through with a few spoonfuls of the pesto and served over the gnocchi with the crispy skins.
Voila a completely no waste meal.

1 comment:

  1. and it looks like it would have tasted yummy too!

    You have motivated me to make a waste free meal tomorrow.....Mmmm???

    ReplyDelete