Saturday, January 2, 2010

The River Cottage Challenge

Inspired by Julie and Julia I have set myself the River Cottage Challenge. Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and his River Cottage series were among my earliest inspiration for self sustainable living. A couple of years ago my mother bought me his Family Cookbook so I have set myself the challenge to complete its recipes and projects throughout 2010. Everything from planting tomato plants to hosting a pancake race. There are 101 recipes in the book and 14 challenges.Nowhere near the amount in Mastering the Art of French cooking but this is more about reconnecting with food then actually learning to cook.
We decided that there would be zero purchases of fast food this year so this will help me to explore cooking techniques and recipes I may not have thought about.
I will update my progress in this blog along with our continuing garden journey.
So I'm off to make some bread for dinner..oh and finish the cheese..more on that later.

Maybe you want to try some of the challenges on Hugh's website.

Happy New Year!!

3 comments:

  1. Have fun! Challenges make life more interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! Your goals for 2010 sound fabulous - have fun with all that cooking!

    Best wishes for a wonderfully fulfilling and abundant 2010,

    Ally and Rich
    www.happyearth.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun challenge. I'm looking forward to following your progress.

    Tricia from Little eco footprints (still have an anoying user name number problem :-(

    ReplyDelete